Hej and welcome!
Today’s topic is Sweden, the country we moved to and some tips how you can do the same. It won’t be a step by step tutorial, but more like a general advice set. Before we get started with some tips let’s read a bit about Sweden in general.
Quick facts about Sweden:
- The population in Sweden is around 10 million people where 2 million are under the age of 18. Its capital Stockholm has a bit more than 900.000 inhabitants.
- Fika is one of the first words you learn in Sweden. Basically it is a coffee or tea break together with sweets, cinnamon buns or fruits. The average Swede drinks 3,2 cups coffee per day.
- The sale of alcohol which contains more than 3,5% is only allowed in the “Systembolaget”, the state owned alcohol monopoly. The prices are also very high. For example the price of the cheapest half a liter of beer in a can is around 12 SEK (≈1,20€). More than 60% of the price are taxes.
- Sweden is a very “green” country. Over 50% of Swedens energy comes from renewable energy.
- If you are lucky and its the right season you can see Northern Lights all over Sweden but you have way higher chances in the north.