The Christmas feeling really has arrived for us. We recently got our first cute little Christmas tree together, I will make our own Christmas ornaments, we listen to Christmas songs and of course we already baked delicious Christmas cookies! 🙂 Besides that we really enjoy our last remaining weeks in Stockholm with our friends and are already a bit sad when we think of leaving Sweden soon.
We hope you all feel as grateful and happy as we do these days and that you enjoy the Christmas atmosphere wherever you are!
Today I will give you one of my favourite recipes for Christmas cookies. In my opinion these walnut & orange cookies are very special and an awesome amendment to the cookie classics. The nuts and fruit combination goes so well together in this one!
Orange & Walnut Christmas Cookies
- 250 gram Flour I took wholegrain spelt flour, you can of course take other flour if you prefer!
- 70 gram Sugar
- 180 gram vegan margarine
- 1 Orange If you don't have an orange you can use some orange juice instead.
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar Additional, for the syrup.
- 60 gram Walnuts You can also use other nuts, I took walnuts and hazelnuts.
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- First you cook an orange syrup with the juice of the orange and the three tablespoons of sugar. Don't worry if it's very runny in the beginning, if you cook it for a while on low/medium heat, it will eventually thicken! Set aside and let it cool down a bit.
- Melt the margarine and mix it with the sugar.
- Add two tablespoons of the syrup and the flour to the mixture.
- Knead the mixture until you have a firm dough.
- Crush or cut the walnuts and mix them together with the syrup and the cinnamon.
- Form balls with small pits in the middle for the filling. Use a bit more than one teaspoon dough per cookie.
- Fill the cookies with the syrup & nut mixture.
- Put the cookies on a tray with baking parchment and bake them for 20-25 minutes at 160 degrees celsius until they're golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool and then enjoy! 🙂
We hope some of you will make use of this recipe and enjoy them while waiting for Christmas.
Let us know when you bake them! #westrayandstaymeals 🙂
Have a wonderful week everybody and show love to the ones around you.
Anouk & Ken